"Come what may" means a lot to me. It means love, humility, loyalty and most of all perseverance. I'm constantly working on all of those things. That's what this is all about.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

DIY Saturday

Harper and I decided that today we were going to ignore all housework, room-cleaning, and dishes and be creative instead. We'll see what daddy thinks when he gets home from work. Even though the house looks like a tornado blew through, I think our projects were a success! Take a look and let us know.






She had a blast decorating a little jewelry box with paint, glitter, and jewels. I wrote "mommy and harper, Sep 2011" on the side. I hope it ends up being one of those sweet things you pull out of a hat box to show your children. 




My project took a little more time (and patience) (and calluses). I got this idea from re-nest.com and have been dying to try it. After all, why have a blank wall when you can put a tree on it. 

 I started with a basic idea of what type of tree I wanted and just began pushing the pins into the wall and stringing yarn through each one, wrapping it around as I went.


 I look EVERYWHERE for black push-pins, but apparently no one has thought of that yet. 


 When I started to see it come together I knew I wouldn't be able to stop until it was finished. 





When it was finished, Harper wanted a Daddy, Mommy, and Harper bird. I just drew a pattern onto different styles of card stock and voila, a sweet little bird family for our tree.

650 push-pins later it was finished. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I'm even contemplating making more little birds to add some color. All in all, a very inexpensive way to add some art to a blank wall. I would recommend however getting a thimble to save your fingers. Ouch! Other than that, not too shabby. 

Harp and I enjoyed our DIY Saturday so much that I think we'll make it a tradition. Be on the look out for our next project!




3 comments:

  1. I love all your pictures of Harper...she is absolutely adorable! And wow, you must have worked really hard on that tree! It looks great. I wish I could be that creative. The only thing I would be concerned about is having so many tiny holes in the wall! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks girls! Christa, that was the first thing Chris said! Haha. We rent the house we're living in, so I'm sure we will have to do a little painting when we leave. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete